It opened on 28th July in 1954 as a cafe and brewery “ Nau” and since then it is known by people living in Figueira da Foz as a spot of conviviality, secret meetings and intellectual meetings.
Mr. José Moreira da Silva opened the "Nau" on 28th July in 1954 and there remains many memories. On the terrace, meetings were held with the Portuguese Communist Party on one side and the Socialist Party on the other. These were secret meetings because the country was experiencing dictatorship with the Estado Novo.
In the "Nau", people linked to politics, doctors and fishermen gathered, that is, the whole society of Figueira, without looking at social or economic levels. The Communist Party offices were on the 1st floor and the auction was nearby. Thus, this was a meeting spot for the society of Figueira da Foz. It was also here that those who came from outside stopped, as this space was at the entrance of the city. Even today, this legacy is maintained, bringing together employees of the Chamber, traders and holidaymakers.
The current owner, Mr. António Carvalho, took over the business in 2005 and nowadays they recover several old sweets recipes from the municipality where you can find all kinds of sweets from Figueira da Foz.
Among these sweets, we can find the “ Ovos de Gaivota”, "Sardinhas na Areia”, "Tachinhos de Buarcos", "Barquinhos de Chila", "Delícias de maiorca” and "Brisas à Beira Mar".
Products and Services
Cafeteria and restaurant for breakfast and brunches
Parish: Buarcos e São Julião
Address: Rua da República 221 R/C, 3080-036 Figueira da Foz
Postal Code: 3080-036 Figueira da Foz
Main activity: Restaurants, pubs, café and Hotels
Opening Year: 1954
Main Code of Economic Activity (CAE): 56301