On 1st April, 1911, the "Casa Salgueiro" opened its doors to the public as "Loja Nova, de Pinha & Salgueiro", by the hands of the society formed by José Pinto da Pinha and José Antunes Salgueiro, as a house of fabrics, of wool, silk, cotton, among other products (handles for pots, dish cloths, towels, bath towels and aprons).
Some time after its foundation, José Antunes Salgueiro, became the sole owner of the establishment and made a contract with his employees – the brothers José da Silva Cordeiro Júnior and Raúl da Silva Cordeiro to become the only partners and owners.
José da Silva Cordeiro Júnior started working in this house at the age of 11 as a marquis where he stayed for 77 years and his brother for 60 years.
Although now the "Casa Salgueiro" is mainly dedicated to the sale of towels, before, the store sold the so-called fine cotton fabrics and also socks for fishermen, because the old auction was located in front of the shop.
This century-old shop is located on the ground floor of the "Casa do Paço", a 17th-18th century building. Inside, we can still see traces of its past, namely the ribbed vaulted ceilings, the floor and the entrance doors that remain original and the riga wood furniture from a boat that sank on the coast of Figueira da Foz.
It is now Otília Cordeiro, José Cordeiro Júnior´s daughter, the owner of "Casa Salgueiro" who still has authentic relics on display in the store, as well as the primitive cash register where you can read "The customer will see on the display the purchase price".
Products and Services
Retail sale of textiles
Parish: Buarcos e São Julião
Address: Rua 5 de Outubro 11 , 3080-073 Figueira da Foz
Postal Code: 3080-073 Figueira da Foz
Main activity: Home, décor and DIY
Opening Year: 1911
Main Code of Economic Activity (CAE): 47510